Aliant Bank was founded in 1900 by Benjamin Russell and his brother Thomas as the Citizens Bank of Alexander City. In 1902, the same year that Benjamin started Russell Mills, the entire business district burned, destroying the first bank building, which is featured here.
Hundreds of original documents, promissory notes, checks and letters were made available to create a historical, commemorative work of art which hangs in the board room of the bank's headquarters in Alex City. Among the paper ephemera used in the mixed media painting are the first two stock certificates belonging to the Russell Brothers. Collateral, marketing and commemorative materials made use of the image, including the bank's annual report.